UNION, Ky. — Updates from Friday’s preliminary night of the Sunoco North-South 100 weekend, including a pair of split-field $5,000-to-win events on the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series (results unofficial):
Outside front-row starter Hudson O'Neal of Martinsville, Ind., led all 25 laps of Friday's first semifeature at Florence Speedway for a $5,000 payday on Sunoco North-South 100 weekend. O'Neal turned back a late challenge from Earl Pearson Jr. to win by 0.120 of a second at the half-mile oval
Row 1: Bobby Pierce, Hudson O'Neal
Row 2: Earl Pearson Jr., Mike Marlar
Row 3: Spencer Hughes, Zack Dohm
Row 4: Victor Lee, Chris Ferguson
Row 5: James Rice, Justin Rattliff
Row 6: Scott James, Kent Robinson
Row 7: Tim McCreadie, Derek Fisher
Row 8: Dustin Linville, Joe Godsey
Row 9: Austin Lay, Trevor Landrum
Row 10: Shannon Babb, Doug Drown
Row 11: Ross Robinson, Jeremy Creech
Row 12: Clint Keenan, Keegan Cox
Row 13: Larry Grube, Brayton Laster
Row 14: Tim Vance
Heat race finishes
(Eight laps; all transfer)
First heat: Bobby Pierce, Mike Marlar, Victor Lee, Justin Rattliff, Tim McCreadie, Joe Godsey, Shannon Babb, Jeremy Creech, Larry Grube.
Second heat: Hudson O’Neal, Spencer Hughes, Chris Ferguson, Scott James, Derek Fisher, Austin Lay, Doug Drown, Clint Keenan, Brayton Laster.
Third heat: Earl Pearson Jr., Zack Dohm, James Rice, Kent Robinson, Dustin Linville, Trevor Landrum, Ross Robinson, Keegan Cox, Tim Vance.
Pre-heat race notes
Florence promoter Josh King expanded the starting fields for Friday’s semifeatures to 27 cars apiece (up from the scheduled 24). King added $2,400 to the purse to allow for the larger fields, giving every entrant and chance to compete in at least one main event during the weekend. … Fast group qualifiers Victor Lee and Jonathan Davenport picked up $501 bonuses from folks donating to the cause in memory of late Hall of Fame chassis builder and driver C.J. Rayburn. … Dustin Linville lost the 10th quickest qualifying time in the first group because his car because of a deck-height violation. … Final qualifier Camaron Marlar of Winfield, Tenn., got into the turn-four wall on his last timed lap. … While it was a disappointment just 10 minutes or so of rain from Thursday washed out the weekend’s opening program, teams were glad not to race late into the night on a likely high-speed oval that would’ve likely left teams with plenty of sheetmetal and other repairs.
First group time trials
Driver (car no.), hometown, time
- Victor Lee (6), Danville, Ky., 16.285
- Spencer Hughes (11), Meridian, Miss., 16.287
- Earl Pearson Jr. (46), Jacksonville, Fla., 16.289
- Bobby Pierce (32), Oakwood, Ill., 16.305
- Hudson O’Neal (71), Martinsville, Ind., 16.308
- Kent Robinson (7R), Bloomington, Ind., 16.378
- Mike Marlar (157), Winfield, Tenn., 16.386
- Chris Ferguson (22), Mount Holly, N.C., 16.439
- Trevor Landrum (18), Erlanger, Ky., 16.487
- Justin Rattliff (16), Campbellsville, Ky., 16.522
- Doug Drown (12), Wooster, Ohio, 16.526
- Zack Dohm (17), Cross Lanes, W.Va., 16.617
- Tim McCreadie (39), Watertown, N.Y., 16.651
- Scott James (83), Bright, Ind., 16.656
- Ross Robinson (7), Georgetown, Del., 16.657
- Joe Godsey (14G), Edinburgh, Ind., 16.718
- Derek Fisher (38), Olympia, Ky., 16.719
- James Rice (15), Verona, Ky., 16.720
- Shannon Babb (18), Moweaqua, Ill., 16.746
- Clint Keenan (29), Patalaska, Ohio, 16.878
- Keegan Cox (23), Franklin, Ind., 17.089
- Larry Grube (29), Cresco, Iowa, 17.250
- Austin Lay (33aj), Walton, Ky., 17.276
- Tim Vance (17T), Clover, S.C., 17.406
- Jeremy Creech (17), Richmond, Ind., 17.644
- Brayton Laster (13), Greenwood, Ind., 18.347
Disqualified: Dustin Linville (D8), Bryantsville, Ky., 16.514 (deck-height violation)
Numerical driver roster
Driver (car no.), hometown
Tyler Erb (1), New Waverly, Texas
Brandon Sheppard (1), New Berlin, Ill.
Kyle Fogt (2), Camden, Ohio
Dustin Nobbe (5N), Batesville, Ind.
Victor Lee (6), Danville, Ky.
Ross Robinson (7), Georgetown, Del.
Ricky Weiss (7), Headingley, Manitoba
Kent Robinson (7R), Bloomington, Ind.
Dustin Linville (D8), Bryantsville, Ky.
Devin Moran (9), Dresden, Ohio
Spencer Hughes (11), Meridian, Miss.
Josh Rice (11), Verona, Ky.
Doug Drown (12), Wooster, Ohio
Jason Jameson (12), Lawrenceburg, Ind.
Brayton Laster (13), Greenwood, Ind.
Joe Godsey (14G), Edinburgh, Ind.
James Rice (15), Verona, Ky.
Justin Rattliff (16), Campbellsville, Ky.
Jeremy Creech (17), Richmond, Ind.
Zack Dohm (17), Cross Lanes, W.Va.
Dale McDowell (17m), Chickamauga, Ga.
Tim Vance (17T), Clover, S.C.
Shannon Babb (18), Moweaqua, Ill.
Trevor Landrum (18), Erlanger, Ky.
Daulton Wilson (18D), Fayetteville, N.C.
Jimmy Owens (20), Newport, Tenn.
Ricky Thornton Jr. (20rt), Chandler, Ariz.
Robby Hensley (21H), Walton, Ky.
Brandon Hardgrove (H22), Burnside, Ky.
Chris Ferguson (22), Mount Holly, N.C.
Keegan Cox (23), Franklin, Ind.
Cory Hedgecock (23), Loudon, Tenn.
Jimmy Sharpe Jr. (26jr), Vidalia, Ga.
P.J. Simpson (28), Berry, Ky.
Larry Grube (29), Cresco, Iowa
Clint Keenan (29), Patalaska, Ohio
Darrell Lanigan (29), Union, Ky.
Kye Blight (31aus), Katanning, Western Australia
Bobby Pierce (32), Oakwood, Ill.
Jesse Lay (33), Walton, Ky.
Austin Lay (33aj), Walton, Ky.
Derek Fisher (38), Olympia, Ky.
Tim McCreadie (39), Watertown, N.Y.
Chris Madden (44), Gray Court, S.C.
Earl Pearson Jr. (46), Jacksonville, Fla.
Jonathan Davenport (49), Blairsville, Ga.
Garrett Alberson (58), Las Cruces, N.M.
Hudson O’Neal (71), Martinsville, Ind.
Brandon Overton (76), Evans, Ga.
Scott James (83), Bright, Ind.
Vern Lefevers (90), Cincinnati, Ohio
Carson Ferguson (93), Lincolnton, N.C.
Jason Miller (94), Berryville, Va.
Camaron Marlar (99), Winfield, Tenn.
Mike Marlar (157), Winfield, Tenn.
(All times local)
2:30 p.m. - Pit gates close
3 p.m. - Pit gates open
5 p.m. - Grandstands closes
5:30 p.m. - Grandstands reopen
2-5:45 p.m. - Registration and tech inspection
6:30 p.m. - On-track activity (MavTV on FloRacing stream begins)
- Lucas Oil hot laps
- Modified hot laps
- Lucas Oil time trials (2 laps)
- Allstar Performance fast time presentation
- Modified heat races (8 laps)
- Lucas Oil heat races (8 laps)
- Modified consolation (10 laps)
- Lucas Oil first feature (25 laps)
- Lucas Oil second feature (25 laps)
- Modified feature (20 laps)