For the last 13 years, we’ve prided ourselves at DirtonDirt.com in providing journalism and entertainment coverage that goes far beyond cars circling racetracks. And boy, do we have our work cut out for us now.
But I’m here to assure you that, regardless of how long Dirt Late Model racing’s slowdown lasts with the coronavirus pandemic gripping our country, DirtonDirt.com has plans to provide not just coverage of current events but more enhanced content for our loyal subscribers.
With many scheduled races grinding to a halt over the next weeks and months, our reporters will track the sport’s reaction and look at what comes next. Upcoming coverage plans include:
- Weekly VideoCasts with Michael Rigsby, Derek Kessinger and call-in guests evaluating the sport’s status.
- A series of stories this week looks at how teams, drivers, promoters and industry insiders are reacting and adjusting to unprecedented times.
- A story and blog looking back at how short track racing has weathered previous slowdowns triggered by 9/11, recessions and energy crises.
- An examination of how full-time racers — those whose livelihood depends on winning purse money — plan to make it with few purses to chase.
- Look for video interviews for driver reaction to the pandemic.
- DirtWire news briefs keep fans up to date on cancellations, postponements and rescheduled races for series and tracks.
Like scores media outlets that rely on a steady diet of sports, DirtonDirt.com is adjusting on the fly to provide content to fill the gap.
While we’ll still have regular video and results coverage of events that are able to continue during the slowdown, we’ve put together plans to supplement that with additional elements for subscribers:
- Starting today, DirtonDirt.com will post vintage videos from longtime contributor Steve Gigeous of DirtStation.com. Videos primarily from the 1980s and 1990s feature historic races and drivers that will appear on Tuesdays and Saturday.
- DirtonDirt.com is also tapping its archives of live video, streaming select races on Wednesday evenings for subscribers.
And while we’ll have fewer weekend racing highlights and recaps, our regular coverage will continue as we enhance the coverage from DirtonDirt.com you’ve come to know and love:
- Kevin Kovac’s column will continue to appear Wednesday with this week’s submission focusing on Fayetteville (N.C.) Motor Speedway’s new promoters.
- Look for podcasts weekly as the Rigsby Report and SuaveTalk alternate with special interviewees each week.
- Quick Time, appearing most Wednesdays, breaks down statistics and analyzes other aspects of racing.
- The Weekly Notebook will be ramping up soon with features on weekly drivers and other notes from tracks around the country.
- Throwback Thursdays will continue with slideshows and videos looking back at races gone by.
While racing on the track may be slowing down for a time, DirtonDirt.com is still running full tilt with the coverage you expect — and maybe some you don’t. Stick with us for a wild ride during the most unusual of seasons.