Bristol Motor Speedway
Continued wet spring postpones several races
From staff and series reports
A wet spring that has already hampered dozens of events is still at work the second weekend in April. The World Dirt Racing League and Mid-Atlantic Championship Series have already scrapped weekend races because of threatening weather and wet conditions. | April master schedule
WDRL planned to open its season Friday, April 11, at Davenport (Iowa) Speedway, but impending inclement weather forced officials to push it back. Originally, the rain date was Sunday, but officials decided to move it back to Wednesday, April 16. The Rudy's Taco Fiesta 40 is scheduled to pay $5,000 to the winner.
MACS postponed April 13's Icebuster 50 at Hesston (Pa.) Speedway to May 11, the series and track announced. “We did not want to have to make this decision but the grounds here are very wet and very soft,” said Ryan Lynn, Hesston's promoter. “With the fuel costs on the rise we felt it was in everyone’s best interest to postpone the event until May when we will have a better chance of getting the track in the condition it needs to be in for a premier event like this.”
The series still plans to race this weekend, however, with the April 12 Western Maryland Open 50 at Allegany County Speedway in Cumberland, Md. The winner will earn $5.000. Hot laps are scheduled for 5 p.m. Other postponements:
• The April 11-12 O'Reilly Midwestern LateModel Racing Association events at Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., and Thunderhill Speedway in Mayetta, Kan., were also postponed by weather. The events were co-sanctioned by the O'Reilly Topless Outlaw Racing Association.
• The first-ever event on the new Pennsylvania-based Unified Force Racing Championship tour scheduled for April 12-13 at Challenger Raceway near Indiana, Pa., has been pushed back to April 19-20.
• The April 11 Southern Regional Racing Series event at Wartburg (Tenn.) Speedway was rained out and tentatively rescheduled for May 9.
• The April 12-13 weekend on the Deery Brothers Summer Series at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, and Quincy (Ill.) Raceway was washed out. The midweek makeup is scheduled for April 29-30.
• The April 11 Sunoco American Late Model Series event at Attica (Ohio) Raceway Park was rained out.
• The April 12 O'Reilly Battle of the Bluegrass DirtCar Series event at Twin Cities Raceway Park in North Vernon, Ind., was rained out.
• The April 12-13 Northern Allstars Late Model Series events at La Salle (Ill.) Speedway and Quad City Raceway in East Moline, Ill., were rained out.