Trivia Time: Test your Dirt Late Model knowledge
By Bob MarkosDirtonDirt.com contributor
Part of a continuing feature at DirtonDirt.com, test your Dirt Late Model knowledge with a 20-question quiz from longtime racing historian Bob Markos. How many can you answer correctly? (click here for answers):
1. What have Dale McDowell, Scott Bloomquist and Jimmy Mars all accomplished that will never be repeated?
2. In 2002, which organization had the $100,000 Great Northern Challenge? Who won it?
3. What do Terry English, Steve Francis, John Gill, C.J. Rayburn and Colonel Harlan Sanders all have in common?
4. Which one of these Sprint Car aces has never competed in Dirt Late Model competition?
(f) Sammy Swindell
5. Which one of these Dirt Late Model aces has never competed in sprint car competition?
(f) Bob Pierce
6. What was the first-ever contested $50,000-to-win event in Dirt Late Model history? Where was it? Who won it?
7. What Indiana native began his career as a truck driver, started his own business, and eventually became heavily involved in presenting tractor pulling, drag racing, boat racing, monster trucks and Dirt Late Model Racing?
8. What was the pseudonym used on the ovals by Southern Dirt Late Model great Gene Hampton Daves?
9. Which Dirt Late Model great went from drag racing to Dirt Late Models, first in an ex-Doug Kenimer car, while hauling coal during the day and racing weekends, and finally ended up a World 100 winner and Dirt Track World Champion?
10. What do Chub Frank, Lynn Geisler, Tom Nesbitt, Johnny Stokes, Charlie Swartz, Earl Pearson Jr. and Brandon Sheppard all have in common?
11. Which former Dirt Late Model venue was nicknamed “the World’s Smallest Superspeedway”?
12. Which media outlet was launched by a former TV sportscaster Sept. 4, 2007, and changed the complexion of the Dirt Late Model world?
13. Which Dirt Late Model Hall of Famer won a Jackson 100, was an American Speed Association Stock Car Rookie of the Year and also qualified for a pair of Little 500 sprint car meets in Anderson, Ind.?
14. Which Dirt Late Model Hall of Famer was known during his racing days as “the King of the Tennessee Hills”?
15. Which two-car Dirt Late Model team combined for a record 19 NDRA victories in a single season?
16. Which Dirt Late Model standout piloted the Thunderbolt Racing Black Bandit Camaro early in his career?
17. On Aug. 25, 2018, I traveled 2.7 miles north of U.S. Route 30 on State Road 13, then headed a third of a mile east on Crall Road. Where was I and what did I witness that day?
18. Which accomplished Dirt Late Model racer and former multiple National 100 victor was once crew chief for Jack Boggs, Ronnie Johnson and Freddy Smith?
19. What driver won his first Dirt Late Model feature event at Brownstown, Ill., in 1992 and went on to become a Dirt Track World Champion?
20. What famous car builder owned race cars driven by Hall of Famers Butterball Wooldridge, David Speer, Charlie Swartz, Donnie Moran and Davey Johnson?