Trivia Time: Test of your Dirt Late Model knowledge
By Bob MarkosDirtonDirt.com contributor
Part of a continuing feature at DirtonDirt.com, test your Dirt Late Model knowledge with a 20-question quiz from longtime racing historian Bob Markos (click here for answers):
1. Which Dirt Late Model racer never competed as a motorcycle racer?
(f) Kevin Weaver
2. How were Bob Martin, Bill Ogle Sr., Stuart Randolph, Carson Branum and Ed Adams all involved in Dirt Late Model racing?
3. Which Hall of Fame driver helped design and build the Dixie Speedway in Woodstock, Ga.?
4. Who was Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame inductee Larry Shaw’s first customer in 1974?
5. In 1979, who won 51 Dirt Late Model main events aboard the Bopp-chassied “Raging Bull” Camaro?
6. I’ve won a couple of hundred Dirt Late Model events along with a pair of ARCA new car division races while building race engines that won both the World 100 and the DTWC. Who am I?
7. Who was not one of the original members of the “Dirty Dozen” on the World of Outlaws Series?
(e) Clint Smith
8. What do Ken Essary, Billy Moyer, Tommy Joe Pauschert, Ken Schrader and Charlie Sentman all have in common?
9. Take Interstate 81 to exit 6B U.S. 40, then 4 miles west on U.S. 40. Where am I?
10. A two-part question. In May 2002, the late great Buck Simmons captured his 1,000th feature victory. At which dirt track did this milestone occur and who was winning car owner?
11. Who at age 15 won the Young Lions National Championship for legend cars held at the Texas Motor Speedway and would eventually become a Dirt Late Model national champion and World 100 winner?
12. Who was once known in eastern Tennessee racing circles as the California Kid?
13. This family of dirt racers had a father, two sons and three daughters all compete, with one son eventually becoming a multitime Dirt Late Model national touring champion. Who are they?
14. Another two-part question. Who in the 1970s created the Trackburner Chassis? Which racer piloted a Trackburner to 42 Dirt Late Model victories on northern Illinois dirt tracks in 1976?
15. Which Dirt Late Model great began his racing career in Minnesota back in the 1950s and eventually wound up a World 100 winner with a Hall of Fame career?
16. Match these major Dirt Late Model events with the venues they were competed on:
Knoxville (Iowa) Raceway
17. Who began competing on central Tennessee dirt tracks as a teenager, left the sport, then returned later as car owner for Dirt Late Model greats such as Bob Pierce, Stan Massey, Rodney Combs and Dale McDowell, along with owning the Crossville (Tenn.) Speedway?
18. Which Dirt Late Model star earned the asphalt series NASCAR/ReMax Challenge Rookie of the Year honors in 1999?
19. Match these Dirt Late Model standouts with the site of their first victory:
Chase Raceway, Boswell, Ind.
20. I am a Dirt Late Model Hall of Famer with hundreds of Dirt Late Model victories from California to Maryland along with four Canadian provinces. Who am I?
Visit www.dirtondirt.com/story_10527.html for answers.