Trivia Time: Another test of Late Model knowledge
By Bob MarkosDirtonDirt.com contributor
Part of a continuing feature at DirtonDirt.com, test your Dirt Late Model knowledge with a 20-question quiz from longtime racing historian Bob Markos (click here for answers):
1. What has been the longest continuous running Dirt Late Model event in the sport’s history?
2. What do John Collier, Sam Holbrooks, Brian McLeod, Dean Nardi, Bob Schafer and Linda Sharp all have in common?
3. Which multitime Dirt Late Model national driving champion got his first start behind the wheel at the Future Stars of Dirt event during the 2003 Dirt Track World Championship at Bluegrass Speedway in Bardstown, Ky.?
4. Which one of these Dirt Late Model greats never won on a 1-mile dirt track?
(f) Freddy Smith
5. Who is known as the King of Quad City Speedway in East Moline, Ill., having registered 17 season championships at the quarter-mile dirt oval?
6. What was previously on the site of La Salle (Ill.) Speedway?
7. What do these former Dirt Late Model stars all have in common?
(e) Billy Thomas
8. Which one of these six is not a multitime UMP champion?
(f) Gary Webb
9. Who was the 1984 National Dirt Racing Association Rookie of the Year but fell short in his bid for NASCAR Cup Rookie of the Year honors in 1990?
10. What do these following past Iowa Dirt Late Model team owners all have in common?
(d) Cle and Dwayne Schneider
11. Who drove the famous “Rainbow 7” car to 60 Dirt Late Model victories across West Virginia and Pennsylvania in 1972-‘73?
12. Which one of these Midwestern Dirt Late Model greats never competed in a superspeedway event?
(f) Joe Merryfield
13. Who celebrated their 29th birthday by winning a Dirt Track World Championship back in the 1980s?
14. Who are the six Dirt Late Model greats identified by the following nicknames?
(f) Beast of the East
15. What was estimated to have been the largest audience to have witnessed an event in Dirt Late Model history?
16. A three-part answer: What was the longest distance event in laps presented by a sanctioning body in modern Dirt Late Model history? Where was it contested? And who won?
17. Back in the day, I won a pair of Dirt Late Model events in West Virginia within a 24-hour period, earning $90,000. Who am I?
18. Which two Dirt Late Model greats were once presented golden axes on stage at Eldora by the late Earl Baltes?
19. Who drove “Old Blue” to 42 Dirt Late Model victories on eastern Iowa and western Illinois dirt tracks in 1974?
20. What are the last names of these famous Dirt Late Model folks?
(e) William Kent
Visit dirtondirt.com/story_10497.html for answers.