SARVER, Pa. (June 23) — Live updates from Friday night’s second 25-lap semifeature during the Firecracker 100 presented by Big River Steel weekend at Lernerville Speedway:
Max Blair of Centerville, Pa., overtook race-long pacesetter Devin Moran for the lead on lap 20 and held on to capture Friday night’s second 25-lap Firecracker 100 presented by Big River Steel semifeature at Lernerville Speedway. The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series rookie beat Daulton Wilson to the finish line by 1.149 seconds for the $5,000 triumph at his home-state track.
(Eight laps; all drivers transfer)
First heat finish: Devin Moran, Michael Norris, Cody Overton, Levi Yetter, John Garvin Jr., Joshua Powell, Ron Hall (DNS) Dan Angelicchio.
Second heat finish: Daulton Wilson, Logan Zarin, Mason Zeigler, Cory Sines, Breyton Santee, Ryan Montgomery, Chris Schneider, Kevin Smith.
Third heat finish: Max Blair, Tyler Bruening, Tim McCreadie, Boom Briggs, Garrett Alberson, Colton Flinner, Braeden Dillinger, Chuckie Lepsch, Todd Bachman.
Cars on track
With no rain falling since about 7:30 p.m., officials sent Crate Late Models onto the track at 8:45 p.m. to finish packing the surface. The green light for hot laps was turned on just after 9 p.m.
Officials announced that the schedule of events will begin with the six RUSH Crate Late Model heats, followed by the six Lucas Oil Series heats, the RUSH dash and the twin 25-lap Firecracker 100 semifeatures.
Friday night’s time trials were completed despite light rain falling during the second qualifying group, but moments later a downpour hit — beginning over the third and fourth turns — during RUSH Crate Late Model hot laps. The suddenly slick track surface caused Tony Musolino to hit the turn-four wall and all other drivers on the speedway to slide to a stop over the turn-four berm.
The burst of rain began at 7:03 p.m. and lasted less than 15 minutes, but it drenched the racetrack enough that Musolino’s disabled car was still on the track after the shower ceased because the surface was too slick for tow trucks to immediately reach him.
While spots of blue sky were visible off turns one and two at 7:20 p.m., a dark cloud hovering over the track simultaneously began to dump more rain. Officials have the program in a rain delay as they wait out the unpredictable weather.
1. Michael Norris (10), Sarver, Pa., 16.417
2. Daulton Wilson (18D), Fayetteville, N.C., 16.447
3. Max Blair (111B), Centerville, Pa., 16.550
4. Devin Moran (99), Dresden, Ohio, 16.612
5. Mason Zeigler (25z), Chalk Hill, Pa., 16.679
6. Tyler Bruening (16), Decorah, Iowa, 16.730
7. Cody Overton (15K), Evans, Ga., 16.782
8. Ryan Montgomery (4s), Fairmont, W.Va., 16.784
9. Garrett Alberson (58), Las Cruces, N.M., 16.871
10. Levi Yetter (9), Cabot, Pa., 16.924
11. Logan Zarin (1z), Moon Township, Pa., 16.925
12. Boom Briggs (99B), Bear Lake, Pa., 16.946
13. John Garvin Jr. (J4), Sarver, Pa., 17.032
14. Kevin Smith (97), Arkport, N.Y., 17.079
15. Tim McCreadie (39), Watertown, N.Y., 17.188
16. Joshua Powell (11P), Sarver, Pa., 17.198
17. Cory Sines (25S), Orwell, Ohio, 17.276
18. Colton Flinner (48), Allison Park, Pa., 17.288
19. Ron Hall (01), Hookstown, Pa., 17.431
20. Chris Schneider (55c), Lower Burrell, Pa., 17.460
21. Braeden Dillinger (14D), Dawson, Pa., 17.505
22. Dan Angelicchio (14), Mt. Pleasant, Pa., 17.570
23. Breyton Santee (9), Conneaut, Ohio, 17.570
24. Chuckie Lepsch (1L), Johnstown, Pa., 18.168