Lucas Oil extends hiatus through April
Citing Sunday’s extension of federal social-distancing guidelines through the end of April due to the coronavirus pandemic, Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series officials announced today that all remaining events scheduled for the month of April have been postponed or canceled and contingency plans have been drawn up for May races.
The announcement encompasses tour events set for April 18-19 at Hagerstown (Md.) Speedway and Port Royal (Pa.) Speedway and April 24-25 at Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, Ill., and Macon (Ill.) Speedway. The only race of the four that will be rescheduled this season is Port Royal’s — to Aug. 27, as a lead-in to the oval’s inaugural $50,000-to-win Dirt Track Throwback weekend — though the series will visit Tri-City on July 17 for a previously scheduled event.
April 3-4 stops at 411 Motor Speedway in Seymour, Tenn., and Talladega Short Track in Eastboga, Ala., were earlier postponed to June 26-27.
Series officials hope to resume the circuit’s original schedule on May 1-2 at Ponderosa Speedway in Junction City, Ky., and Florence Speedway in Union, Ky. But with the ever-changing guidelines of public health officials along with information that is based on guidelines from the CDC, the series has collaborated with promoters to create potential alternative dates for races through May. All May events are currently set to take place as scheduled, but backup dates for all but two of the month’s events are in place:
- • May 1, Ponderosa Speedway (Sept. 4 if postponed)
- • May 2, Florence Speedway (Aug. 12 if postponed)
- • May 8, Atomic Speedway, Alma, Ohio (no alternate date)
- • May 9, Brownstown (Ind.) Speedway (no alternate date)
- • May 15, 300 Raceway, Farley, Iowa (July 13 if postponed)
- • May 16, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn. (July 8 if postponed)
- • May 21-23, Show-Me 100 at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo. (May 28-30 if postponed)